Pages

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Talitha Koum!

Many times have I encountered the gospel for today, and I can still remember the first time I read it, it was one of our bible study homework in the protestant grade school I studied in. Of course at that time, it was just some story about Jesus and the girl who rose from the dead.



It was during the homily today that this gospel hit home. I recently finished my post-graduate internship and is on my way to becoming a licensed physician. To most of the people I know and are always with, and even my boyfriend of three years, this is who I am. But they do not know who I was before. 

In a different life, a little over seven years ago, I was a nomad, a vagabond, an aimless wanderer. I did not know what I want to be. I lived in the present. I wasted my parents' time and money sending me to college and culinary school without so much as to what I really want to be. I haven't graduated from college and I almost conceded to being a college undergrad my whole life. I didn't want to go back to the University. I just want everyone to leave me be. 

Until an argument with my Mom drove me to pack my bags and leave home for a while. I sought refuge in my grandmother two expressways away. She took me in, and after a weekend with them, my cousins talked me into going back home. So I did. Little did I know that I was in for a surprise. 

My Mom, while I was away, relayed my problems to a congregation of nuns who serve our community. Upon coming home, their Mother Superior talked to me and gave me a few responsibilities in the community, aiming for me to find my way. It was in their community that I realised that I want to try medical school. But my undergrad degree is in the way. 

I went back to the University to finish the units that I still have pending. Until one day I approached my Mom with an application form for medical school. I need her signature to make sure that I will be able to pay for my way in. My Mom was more than thrilled to sign, her hand was still holding the pen when she hurriedly called my Dad to tell him the news. 

I was in the brink of throwing my life away when circumstances led me to where I am now, and I would be a fool to not recognise God's hands steering my way, I could almost hear him saying "Little girl, get up!"

After the DOH Post Graduate Interns' Commencement Exercises 2015
Philippine Heart Center, Quezon City

I can't say that med school was a breeze but here I am now. I knew that everything I went through before med school prepared me for it and beyond. And I would not have it any other way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Once

I won't sugar coat it kids, let's admit it. Masakit bumagsak . And for those you haven't experienced failure, let me try to show...