Pages

Monday, March 23, 2015

Welcome to the Emerald City

Originally posted in Primum non Nocere on May 3, 2014.

Sometimes, when we run after the things we want, the more elusive they can be. But when we stop and stay still for moment, a tornado may sweep us off our feet and bring us to the yellow brick road to our dreams.

I tried to get matched to the DOH-Philippine Centers for Specialized Health Care twice. During the first matching, I went all Legally Blonde and did not have a second choice. But the during the second matching, I listed down my two other hospitals of choice -- our base hospital, Quirino Memorial Medical Center and the other hospital in close proximity, AFP General Hospital. I got matched to QMMC. And from the minute I found out that I was matched, I accepted it and tried to forget my dreams of being a DOH intern.

QMMC, after all, is not a bad choice. It is actually a very close second choice, yung tipong hindi ko lang magustuhan ang isang bagay sa DOH, tatakbo na ako pabalik ng QMMC. QMMC has been my home since 3rd year medical school. I know every twist and turn in its halls. I know almost all the hacks a Junior Intern must know to make life easier. Most of all, a lot of my dear friends chose QMMC, too.

So the wires in my head went all berserk when one of my friends, whose dad can work wonders in East Avenue Medical Center, told me that he is backing up my application in the internship program. Then my cousin, who is a former DOH intern, told me to go ahead and try my chances during the third matching. But I am backing out of DOH, I thought to myself. I have given up. I am going to QMMC and that's that.

But who was I kidding, this was the internship I have been pining for. So, cancelling all my plans for Maundy Thursday, I braved the scorching heat of the summer sun to try and pass the third matching exam and interview, hoping to maybe get in without having to call my friend's dad or my cousin.

Wore my red shoes to the interview to pay homage to Dorothy and her visit to the Emerald City. My red bag is Toto. 

They told us to wait for the results of the 3rd matching after the weekend. And wait I did. It was excruciating to wait. Until I got the message I have been waiting for. I got in. With all the people who supported me and my panel said that my interview went very well, I was thankful that I finally have an official slot.

The girls of Group G. Or at least half of us. 

Fast forward to a week later, after all the uniform-fitting and teambuilding, I found myself in a new group of 15 individuals who braved the challenge of DOH, and fitted into my new subgroup of four -- subgroup G4.

When I saw those two letters, I knew my name will never be the same again. To top it off, it sits above that much coveted DOH - PCSHC logo. 

Labor day 2014 marked the beginning of my year in my Emerald City. I have high hopes for this year, much like my year in QMMC previously. And who knows, after my 365 days here, I might choose to stay or click my ruby red slippers together to find my way back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Once

I won't sugar coat it kids, let's admit it. Masakit bumagsak . And for those you haven't experienced failure, let me try to show...